Friday, October 8, 2010

Get out and VOTE! Before you do, Become Informed.

I keep hearing the refrain, "...take our country back!" It is clear those candidates joining this chorus are serious. They want to take our country back; back to a time where restaurants could refuse to serve non-whites, back to a time when there was no social security, no medicare, no minimum wage, no unemployment insurance. These same would be national leaders claim to stand for small government saying things like, "We want the Government to stay out of our lives" and in the same breath talk about their plans to; keep sexually active single women out of the classroom, and force pregnant teenagers to carry and deliver babies fathered through incest and rape. How do they plan on doing these things without increasing the size of government? While Republican's claim Democrats are the party of big government, the fact is every Republican administration since and including that of Herbert Hoover has increased the federal government's size, scope, and/or power. Republican favorite Ronald Reagan more than DOUBLED the national debt.

Senate candidate Joe Miller (R-AK) says medicaid is unconstitutional while enjoying its benefits for his wife and children. Senate candidate Sharron Angle (R-NV) says medicare is unconstitutional and the VA should be privatized yet complains some of her father's pharmaceuticals aren't covered by either. Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell (R-DE) ... there are too many hypocritical positions to choose from.

I would laugh at Christine O'Donnell when she says, "I see Hillary for President commercials all the time," now, in the present. I would laugh when she puts out a commercial trying to situate herself as 'the same as us' by saying, "I didn't go to Yale" except for the fact that she lied on several documents claiming to have attended Princeton, Oxford and Clairmont. I would laugh when Sharron Angle proclaims Sharia law is taking over America and citing specific regions where this is happening even though it is a complete fabrication. I would laugh but it is not as funny as it is sad.

Former Governor and Presidential candidate (and Southern Baptist Pastor)Mike Huckabee (R-AR) while admitting what Sharron Angle said is not true told Sean Hannity, "Well that's not true, but it is good politics!" Excuse me Pastor, Since when is LYING good ANYTHING?

While I was growing up I learned the art of the half-truth. The ability to read another and then say what would prove to be expediential toward my preferred outcome was honed. I was so good at manipulating people and situations I no longer needed to think. The fiction was second nature to a point where I could no longer see the line between reality and the surreal I sold. Life on both sides of the lie is diminishing. Both the teller and the hearer are killed a bit more, moment by moment as the lie remains. It took many years of long hard staring into a mirror before I could admit this truth, first to myself then others. Truth may hurt, but only for a season. My advice to these would be national leaders ... tell the truth. My advice to you, Go Vote and before you do, listen with a critical ear and make an informed decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment