Monday, January 13, 2014

A New Year

Well, here we are, 2014. At our home it arrived with great fanfare, family, friends, food catered from Starz, fireworks and four live bands! Well, really, three bands and a solo act. It was a night to remember. I hope yours was as special.

Much transpired in 2013. Vickie started as an IPA with Arkansas Minority Health Commission. Sarah put two more semesters behind her (one to go!). Isaiah excelled musically. Anthony joined the newly formed science club and impressed with his robotics knowledge and demonstration. Ariel began her first year in band choosing the french horn and enjoying first chair. Aurelio is speaking more coherently largely due to reconstructive ear drum surgery. 

On the Farm:
We are down to three hives and as yet, don't have plans to replace our losses from the previous year. The peach trees produced their first fruit last year so we should see more and larger fruit this year. Maybe we'll see our first plums, apples and pears too. Our Plymouth Rocks are over wintering well. Although their egg production has slowed we still collect enough for personal use. We have talked about a lighter planting this spring. Suprasistence Farm has a Facebook page. If you are interested in what we have going on 'down on the farm' "LIKE" us on Facebook.

As for myself:
In September of 2013 I became more serious about helping my body heal. I made more changes to my diet and began walking one mile three times a week. I also began to daily log my energy and pain levels along with other variables like weather, travel etc... This month I joined the local gym, increased to one fifteen minute mile a day five days a week and now one and one third miles in twenty minutes. My energy is increasing substantially, my pain decreasing slightly, my weight is dropping slowly but steadily and inches are melting away. I look forward to being half the man I am today. While I understand this will help decrease the negative effects of RA and Fibromyalgia I continue to seek out other avenues of relief.

On April 20, 2013 in Old Washington, Arkansas I was raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason. Tonight I will be installed as Junior Warden at Pleasant Valley Lodge #30. I am blessed to be a part of this wonderful fraternity.

This is an election year! I serve as Chairman of the Howard County Democratic Central Committee and Chairman of the Howard County Board of Election Commissioners. We recently hosted the largest political event ever held in Howard County, Dinner with Mike Ross. Over 150 Arkansans from eight counties participated. This April we will have our 'Meet and Greet.' Political candidates from Senator and Congressman, Governor, State Senator and Congressmen as well as local seats like Sheriff, JP, Circuit and County Clerk will be in attendance. This event, along with scheduling speakers and setting agendas for our monthly meetings, signing up, training and supervising volunteers for the November election has me busy. Not too busy to catch a few Yankee games though (pitchers and catchers report February 14th).

Stop by if you're in the neighborhood. We still have that guest bedroom, WiFi and some of the tastiest food you'll ever eat! 



No comments:

Post a Comment